Thursday, January 24, 2013

Author Interview - Louise Wise

For my new regular feature, Author Interviews, I would like to introduce Louise Wise, author of The Fall of the Misanthrope: I bitch, therefore I am, a slightly darker take on the chicklit genre.   

Read on for Louise's interesting and entertaining answers and an excerpt from her book.


Tell me about your latest book:
The Fall of the Misanthrope: I  bitch, therefore I am is a darker than normal chick lit book. I like realism in my books, and wanted to write about someone who is seriously flawed and my character Valerie Anthrope is struggling to cope with her depression by ignoring it completely.

What inspired you to write this story?
Initially, it was through the movie The Devil Wears Prada, it didn’t focus too deeply on Miranda Priestly and I felt she was very unhappy and wanted to know more about her character than the actual main one! I also thought Andrea Sachs was weak for letting her walk all over her, and so wanted someone to stand up to Valerie Anthrope.


Tell me a little about your Works in Progress:
The draft has just been finished for my forth book. Still in a chick lit theme, but I have an older character who ends up back in time in the 70s, and able to change where she felt it all went wrong in her life. Researching that era is so nostalgic!


For any new readers who would like to read your work, please tell me a little about your past books. 
A Proper Charlie: UK - http://amzn.to/Qxv3w6  USA -  http://amzn.to/PHLrL8 is a typically chick lit book, but with the added ingredient of realism. Here, my character Charlie Wallis is a girl who wants the two C’s: commitment (from her boyfriend) and a career (she’s the office gofer), and decides to do something about it. It’s a fun-feel book.

Eden: UK -  http://amzn.to/QT4X7e USA -  http://amzn.to/UCxHly is my first published novel, and one of my best-sellers. It’s a sci-fi romance, and definitely for the over 18s! It has just four characters, and three of them are astronauts chosen to explore a newly discovered planet (Eden). But things go wrong and the female of the crew (Jenny) is left behind. On the planet is the only survivor of an alien spaceship, who isn’t happy to see their arrival. It’s a story of survival, acceptance and romance. Reviewers have described it as ‘Beauty and the Beast’ or ‘Adam and Eve’.


Do you have a favourite writing snack?
No, I try and only eat at mealtimes, because one I start, I don’t stop! I drink coffee or tea throughout the day, though.


If a movie was made about your book, who would be in your ideal cast?
Misanthrope is a British book, so I’d like all Brits to star. Julie Andrews, with her cut-glass English accent could play my older character, Ellen.

Catherine Zeta Jones would play the damaged Valerie, and for my male lead I need someone who’s flirty, arrogant, playboyish, er, Brendan Fraser? I know he’s not British, but I’ll make an exception for him!

Do you have a character you’ve enjoyed writing the most?
Bossy Ellen (Julie Andrews) was fun. I had to cut many scenes with her because she just took over. I had a matronly woman in mind when I wrote her, a mumsy type who just wanted to mother everyone, whether they wanted it or not!


What do you do for fun when you’re not writing?
I like watching reality TV (great for characterisation!) and I’m a bit of a foodie, so enjoy visiting restaurants with friends.

What sort of books do you like to read?
Chick-lit, or romance with a sub-genre. I enjoy Dean Koontz’s sci-fi thrillers, as well. I also like to read a lot of non-fiction.


Do you have any advice for people wanting to write their own book?
My advice is controversial: Do not publish your first book. Write several books before you even think about publishing.


What parts of the writing process do you love and hate the most?
Love: Meeting other writers, and unbelievably, marketing!
Hate: Not having the time to sit and write. You know, when real life gets in the way. Grrr

Thank you Louise! 


 Where to find Louise:  Blog   Facebook   Twitter    Pinterest    Amazon Author


 

The Fall of The Misanthrope: I bitch, therefore I am



 

I thought you were the type of man who could handle a one-night stand.'

The Fall of the Misanthrope is a hilarious tale of one woman's handling of the modern world. Snowed under with work, drinking espressos and popping energy pills to keep her awake at night to avoid a recurring nightmare, she plays with her health when she realises the depression, which caused her mother to kill herself, has caught her.

Bossy Ellen Semple thinks she has the answer: maternal love and cream cakes. 

But Valerie begins dating playboy Lex Kendal, unaware that he's Ellen's nephew and the very reason why her brokerage has taken 'exceptionally good business lately'. Ellen believes his 'bed 'em and leave 'em' ethos will damage Valerie even more but Lex rubbishes her fears.

But it's Lex who falls for Valerie and she dumps him. Then Valerie has a nightmare that turns everything she's ever known the right way up. She'd been walking on a time-bomb. Or is she losing her mind?


Short Excerpt:


T
here was no need for words. Once inside, I walked straight upstairs, my body already aflame. Lex followed, his body so close, every time I took a step up, I brushed against him. We were removing one another’s clothes before the bedroom door had closed behind us. Our mouths seeking one another’s, our hands exploring unfelt flesh.
We didn’t make the bed at first. Lex lifted me up, and I wrapped my legs around his waist. We made love against my dresser, and again in the bed. I was angry at Ellen’s betrayal. Somehow she’d set out for me and her to meet, and obviously Lex too. But my anger had turned to lust. I wanted Lex or Alex Kendal, and I was going to use him to my advantage.
Revenge was going to be so sweet.

  Buy The Fall of The Misanthrope: I bitch, therefore I am

 The Fall of the Misanthrope is ONLY 77p/$1.24 while on promotion
 


2 comments: